Christopher D. Nelson
A native of southern Minnesota, Chris is a business attorney representing and counseling individuals, start-up businesses, entrepreneurs, governments, non-profits, LLCs, and partnerships and corporations in matters related to entity formation, contract drafting and review, bankruptcy, corporate law, business litigation, real estate, tax, education, non-compete agreements, shareholder agreements, lease agreements, buy-sell agreements, and general business law in Rochester, MN.
Chris also provides counsel to debtors, creditors, and Chapter 7 trustees in all matters related to bankruptcy law, including Chapter 7, 11, 12, and 13 bankruptcy petitions, creditors' remedies, out-of-court workouts, and related bankruptcy litigation such as preferential and fraudulent transfer litigation. Chris also provides counsel to banks in enforcement of security interests.
Prior to joining Dunlap & Seeger in Rochester Minnesota, Chris worked as a law clerk in the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General Corps at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
At the University of St. Thomas School of Law, Chris was the editor-in-chief of the law review.
Chris was raised on a farm in southern Minnesota where his family's previous four generations lived and farmed. He is an active member at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church in Rochester and a member of the Knights of Columbus. Chris serves on the board of the United Way of Olmsted County and the Catholic Foundation of Southern Minnesota. He also serves as a volunteer business attorney for the Small Business Development Center.
Areas of Practice
- Bankruptcy Law
- Business Law
- Collections & Creditors Remedies
- Real Estate Law
- Litigation (Trials & Appeals)
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- University of St. Thomas School of Law, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- J.D. - 2007
- Law Review: Law Review, Editor-in-Chief
- University of Minnesota
- B.A. magna cum laude - 2004
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- US Army Judge Advocate General, West Point, Law Clerk
- Minnesota Advocates for Human Rights, Minneapolis, Law Clerk
- U.S. Army Judge Advocate General Corps, Law Clerk
Pro Bono Activities
- Member at St. John The Evangelist Catholic Church in Rochester
- Member of The Knights of Columbus
- Board of The United Way of Olmsted County
- Catholic Foundation of Southern Minnesota
- Turnaround Management Association