William J. Ryan
Bill has extensive experience in business and transactional law, with an emphasis on commercial real estate. He represents developers, contractors, lender and sellers and buyers of both commercial and residential properties. He has significant experience in the acquisition and negotiation of rights of way and easements by municipalities, utility companies and landowners. He handles matters involving real estate development, land use planning and zoning issues. He has an in depth knowledge of conveyance instruments, title and title insurance matters and litigates real estate related actions, including condemnation and eminent domain. In fact, Bill was appointed the Examiner of Titles for Olmsted County and has served in that capacity since 1994.
Mr. Ryan handles the creation, operation, merger, acquisition and sale of business entities such as corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships and limited partnerships, and general commercial transactions involving such entities.
His practice also includes patent, trademark, copyright and other areas of intellectual property law, such as the creation, registration, protection and licensing of intellectual property. He is admitted to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office as a patent attorney since 1976.
In addition, Bill has been president of the Olmsted County Bar Association and served on the Olmsted County Social Services Advisory Board, the Rochester Area Family Y and the Rochester/Olmsted Community Housing Partnership. He presently serves on the boards of directors of the Zumbro Valley Mental Health Center and The Reading Center.
Areas of Practice
- Banking and Commercial Lending
- Community & Government
- Real Estate
- Business and Transactional Law
- Commercial Real Estate and Real Estate Development
- Community & Government Law
- Condemnation and Eminent Domain
- Intellectual Property Law (Patents, Trademarks and Copyrights)
- Land Use Planning and Zoning
- 25% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Minnesota, 1976
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1976
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1976
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1976
- William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota
- J.D. cum laude - 1976
- University of Minnesota, St. Paul, Minnesota
- B.S. - 1972
- Honors: With Distinction
- Major: Aerospace Engineering
Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell, A-V Rating
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Olmsted County Bar Association, President, 1996 - 1997
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Association